http://www.makepovertyhistory.org Rambling Oaksey™: Kwik Save

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Kwik Save


Over the last few weeks I have been thinking about some things and one of them was the great time I had working for Kwik Save. Now you probably remember this supermarket with the fond phrase of "I cant get a full shop there" yes that was a problem that never seem to be addressed. If you shopped at KS you could never get everything so had to go elsewhere, I suspect this was due to floor space as many of the stores didn't have room to stock more ranges.

We had some laughs there and I have thought about it more when I see old colleagues that I used to work there with. Its a shame it ended really but I think it was inevitable in the end. I left (well was made redundant) in 1998, I remember this as went to see 'The Avengers' at the cinema which I have to say was an awful remake of the 60's classic! Think there was only about 6 of us there watching it! It was sad to leave but I felt my time was up and that the company was going in the wrong direction, it seemed to be obsessed with trying to match the bigger food retailers of which it could never do. Aldi and Lidl were also eating away at KS profits at this time.

I was offered another position however after a month I knew it wasn't for me so decided to take the redundancy. It was the best decision as afterwards KS just went into meltdown esp when Somerfield decided to buy it and then realised the stores were to put it blunt crap. They were too small, the tills were from the ark ages and the shelves were ancient.

We had a colleague with a knife to her throat, I was threatened many times when refusing to sell booze to either drunks or kids and many other things which always kept you going lol The abuse we got over charging 1p or 3p for bags was higher than anything else!

Some people I worked with were so set in their ways it was unreal however the majority were great and many laughs were had.

So RIP Kwik Save and thanks for time we had together.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home